The National Geographic Channel has aired a program this past Sunday night that should appeal to genealogists with an interest in photographs — and who of us aren’t fascinated by old photographs. The program shows how the owner of this photograph goes about trying to authenticate it.
- What is the photo made of? What process was used? Were these materials and processes available during the period in question?
- Who is in the picture? Advanced facial recognition is used on the people in the photo.
- When was it taken?
- Where was it taken? Can the place be located today?
- Why would these particular people be in this particular place at this particular time.
- What is the story behind the photograph? It’s quite a story.
If this photo can be authenticated, it will be only the second known photograph of Billy the Kid and the only know photograph of him with other people. Interested? The two hour documentary is being re-aired on Friday, October 23rd on the National Geographic Channel at 9:00 pm and 11:00 pm.
Below is a a section of the full photograph.
Library website: http://www.newtonfreelibrary.net
Genealogy blog: https://thecuriousgenealogist.wordpress.com
Genealogy LibGuide: http://guides.newtonfreelibrary.net/genealogy